Justin Jackson is a maker. He has created products, communities, podcasts, and much more over his career. He is also one of the inspirations behind getting The Plunge Podcast started. I’ve wanted to have Justin on the show since the start and I’m pumped that day is finally here. This conversation was all about making things. Whether you are a developer, writer, photographer, videographer, CEO, if you want to make things this episode is for you. We talk about the process of making things, and his goal of making 100 things this year with his newest project MegaMaker. We talk about the fear of getting started and shipping, about trolls and self-doubt, and about finding that one thing you are passionate about. It’s a wide ranging conversation under the umbrella of the maker, and its one of my favorite topics.
Justin’s project MegaMaker has changed since we spoke. Listen in for details on how his project has changed and what it shows about making things for an audience. It’s a perfect example to complete the conversation.
If you enjoyed this episode, please consider leaving a rating and review on iTunes. It helps the show grow and I always appreciate feedback on what you’d like to hear in future episodes.
Interested in hearing more about creating online? Check out my interview with Matt Giovanisci of MoneyLab.
- 1:00 – Justin’s Creative Sabbatical
- 3:00 – What a “maker” is
- 5:30 – Becoming a professional burrito maker
- 8:30 – The difference between digital products and food products
“There’s other reasons that people purchase and enjoy products. Some of those are emotional.”
- 11:00 – The goal for the MegaMaker brand
- 13:00 – How Build & Launch inspired the start of The Plunge Podcast
“People instantly want to go from 0 to 100 kmh. Start small, and start something today.”
- 16:30 – “Human beings are really inclined towards keeping things the way they are.”
“Put the blinders on and keep going”
“People who ship will always beat people who don’t ship.”
“Most trolls on the internet are people who have never made anything in their life”
- 21:00 – MegaMaker.co/list
- 25:00 – Justin’s thoughts on ‘paying your dues’ before building a personal brand or working on your own projects.
“There’s no rules about who can create things and who can’t”
- 29:30 – The scope of MegaMaker – The biggest and smallest projects
- 33:30 – Network Effects
- 36:00 – Remote Workers Club
- 41:00 – How much grunt work do people overlook in projects?
- 46:00 – The reason we don’t like doing things is we’re not good at them yet
- 47:30 – How Shaun White learned to ride switch
- 51:30 – Be willing to fall on your face. The ‘speck of dust in the universe; argument
- 52:30 – “What is the worst that could happen?” if you put something out into the world
- 53:30 – Trying to find the one thing you’ll do the rest of your life
- Eliminate genuine wastes of your time
- Find what is worth your time
“Start making your own stuff. Over time you will find your own voice and what unique perspective you can bring to the world. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself.”
- “The hardest part about this break in between MegaMaker seasons, is this realization that I can’t help all of you.”
- Follow Justin on Twitter