Matt Giovanisci is an entrepreneur, podcaster, website builder, musician, video maker, and a lot more. Let that serve as your introduction. He’s also filled with the least amount of bullshit you can find these days. This matters, especially because the online world is filled with a lot of it.
I’ve followed Matt through a few of his past projects and I’ve always been entertained by his energy and style. His newest project, MoneyLab, is both ambitious and hilarious at the same time. Let me explain. He runs experiments trying to make money online and shares his journey with you. Nothing hidden, nothing censored. Whether he makes a dime or not you’ll know, and you’ll probably know why too.
His marketing is where the hilarious comes in. Through his I Want Your Email Address and Matt Wants to Be a Guest on Your Podcast pages, he has shown that satire can not only be funny and poignant at once, but it can work. They are a few of the reasons MoneyLab has taken off. We talk about these projects, his background, and a lot more about creating during our time together.
I have a lot of respect for what Matt does and how he goes about it. I think more honesty and straight talk is needed in this space, and he provides it in an entertaining way. Enjoy this conversation, and please leave a review on iTunes letting me know what you think!
Interested in another entrepreneur’s story? Check out our conversation with Max Yoder of Lesson.ly.
- 3:20 – Who is Matt Giovanisci?
- 5:45 – What did Matt want to be when he grew up? His favorite music growing up
- 8:35 – Studio 29 – Growing up in a recording studio
- 9:35 – Matt’s journey in the pool industry, how Swim University started
- 11:50 – Why does Matt shun the norm in the online business world?
- “Everyones trying to label you, and call something really generic.”
“What i do is art, I’ve never thought of it as banging out content.”
- “I don’t want to fit in.”
“If you asked Martin Scorsese what he does for a living he wouldn’t say he makes content. He would say he makes movies, or he tells stories. He would say something way cooler, and call it what it is.”
- 16:50 – Everyone in the pool industry makes everything so difficult. Matt: “Thats not the way it should be done”
- “I do zero competition research and go here’s how I want to do it”
- 18:00 – Listen Money Matters, shunning the typical in personal finance.
“It’s not about trying to be different. It’s sitting down with yourself and saying what do I want in the world?”
- Matt’s description of how he wants his sites to be perceived.
- 20:50 – “I don’t want to tell people what to do. I want to do things and they’ll go that was cool, maybe I’ll do it too.”
- 22:20 – How to get preconceived notions out of your system. How to unbox your mindset.
- “Just stop reading.” There is so much out there to consume you can literally never start.
“I think you should stop reading and make something, learn as you go”
- 23:30 – Learning as you go for everything.
- 26:50 – The MoneyLab story
- 30:00 – The Story So Far, how Matt found what he likes, and how he uses it on MoneyLab
- 35:25 – Matt’s next MoneyLab challenge
- 36:20 – The email satire page that helped MoneyLab take off.
- 37:20 – Matt’s goal for people who find his content
- 38:40 – Matt’s current favorite band, and if he could produce an album by any band who would it be
- 40:15 – Matt’s cringe when I say I”m going to title this “bringing rock n roll to online business” LOL
- Visit moneylab.co/dingle