Allison Behringer thought she was going to be a teacher. Then she thought she was going to be a documentary filmmaker. So how did she end up producing a popular podcast at tech startup studio Betaworks in New York City? Find out in today’s conversation. It was really fun to bring a peer in the podcasting world onto the show to chat about how she came into the medium and to dive into her process. Her show, The Intern, boasts over 300 reviews on iTunes and documents her journey into tech and media in New York City. The show is honest, compelling, and purposely uses Allison’s own story to cover bigger issues that matter to her. She just posted Episode 8, the finale, and I highly recommend you check out the show in its entirety.
Interested in hearing more about creating online? Check out my interview with Matt Giovanisci of MoneyLab.
- The Intern podcast – https://theintern.fm/
- Allison’s journey from teaching english in Thailand to the SALT Institute of documentary studies to Betaworks
- “I had that moment I think we all have, which is like oh shit what did i just do I left this profession I really liked, what am I doing, I’m not good enough”
- “I’ve been very intentional about going to places with other radio creators and surrounding myself with people who really know their stuff.”
- Allison’s process for creating a podcast
- “I’ve leaned heavily on my friends for feedback on the episode, but also that emotional support you need when you are working.”
- How to develop a theme and narrative in a podcast
- The importance of casting in podcast
- “You need someone who can speak in anecdotes, and in stories.”
“My goal is always to use my personal story to tell a bigger story.”
“We enjoy seeing and hearing other people going through the same emotions that we do too.”
- How recording a podcast has affected real life office relationships.
- Where The Intern will be going from here.
- Having a platform can give you the opportunity to have conversations you’d never be able to have otherwise
- Allison’s favorite podcasts
- Find the intern online